Friday, June 20, 2014

The Fireworks Galaxy: "Eye of Sauron?"

I’m sticking with the Cepheus region for another night.  Started from Eta Cephei and found the galaxy with the PicGoto.  I can't see this galaxy even at 10 s imager exposures, but used asterisms to get it lined up.  It has low surface brightness.  This galaxy is one of the most prolific producers of supernovae, hence the name.  To me, I think "Eye of Sauron" might make a more interesting name.  The breeze bounced my scope all over, so I consider these to be below average conditions. I fiddled with the chiller (which wasn’t working correctly last night); tonight it is working fine: 2.5 A, 10.5 °C down to 1°C.  I think this image is much better than what I got last year.

Date: 19 Jun 2014
Subject: NGC 6946, Fireworks Galaxy
Scope: AT8IN + High Point Scientific Coma Corrector
Filter: none
Mount: CG-5 (Synta motors, PicGoto Simplificado)
Guiding: 9x50 Finder/Guider + DSI Ic + PHD 2.2.2 (Win 7 ASCOM)
Camera: DSI IIc chiller at 2.50 A, 10.5 to 1.0 °C
Acquisition: Nebulosity 3.2.0, no dither
Exposure: 46x300 s
Stacking: Neb 3, bad pixel map, bias included, normalize first, trans+rot align, 1.5 SD stack.

Processing: StarTools 1.3.5.279 Crop; Wipe:Color & brightness 75%; Develop 88.71%; Color:Scientific, 250%; HDR reveal core; Deconvolute auto mask 2.6 pix; Life:Moderate; Track RNC 3.92%; Magic:Shrink 2 pix. Repeated HDR reveal core on another layer.  CS6 Astronomy Tools Layer the double “reveal core” layer on top of the other at 66% transparency; Increase star color; Deep space noise reduction; Less crunchy more fuzzy; Levels; Astro Frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment