Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Trying to Get the Best of Both Worlds: Combining Hα with RGB

I wish I could claim I have figured out how to combine Hα images with RGB so as to retain the detail and contrast of the Hα and get reasonably good color from the RGB, but I'm still learning. As I mentioned in my last post, I've been using the tutorial on the Starizona web site as a guide for doing the combination in Photoshop. In my hands, the Starizona approach usually seems to result in blue stars or at least loss of the star colors (and if you've seen many of my images, you know I tend to favor a lot of color in the stars, perhaps more than most people would like).  A couple of nights ago, while trying to combine my Hα image of the Bubble Nebula with RGB, I finally pushed one of the buttons in StarTools for the first time, the LRGB button. I loaded the Hα into the luminance channel, and then used an old RGB image I had previously aligned with the Hα in Nebulosity to load the R, G, and B. On the first try I got a better result (I think) than I had been able to produce after hours of messing around in Photoshop. Here are the Hα, the RGB (flipped so it has the proper orientation), and the HαRGB composite. The stars are still a little blue, but it's my best Bubble so far.






















I've also reworked the Crescent Nebula using StarTools and some Photoshop layer masking. Here is my best Starizona-method 1 result (layering Hα on R (a little more R than Starizona recommends), using that for luminance, and also using an Hα with R blend in place of the original R channel), and my best StarTools result (which involved loading Hα into both the luminance and the R channels, and layer masking and playing with the colors to try to get them approximately right). As you can see, the StarTools image is also stretched a bit more. I think I like it better. If the monsoon breaks so I can get more Hα data, I'll continue to play with this.


No comments:

Post a Comment