Thursday, March 20, 2014

Using the Wrong Filter Hurts!


20 Mar 2014.  Just a quick note to say that the PicGoto Group has come through once again.  My question about hooking up the voltage control board was answered, and I had indeed done it incorrectly.  I just needed to connect pin 9 of the 16F628A chip through a 100 ohm resistor to the input of the LM317 voltage control circuit, and presto, everything works as desired including the LED coming on when it is supposed to.  I used the system to image last night and got decent guiding performance despite light gusty winds.  Unfortunately the image (of M51) turned out terrible because I left my UHC-S filter on my camera (I had intended to image the Medusa Nebula, but couldn’t find it because it isn’t in my Cartes du Ciel database and I was in a hurry; the filter would have been good for that nebula, but it is terrible for M51).  Now I just want to find out if I can really do periodic error correction with the PicGoto.  Even if I can’t, I’ve come out way ahead with this project.  
The UHC-S filter blocks the wrong colors for this target, so I just didn't get enough light despite using 600-sec subframes.

No comments:

Post a Comment